Magic Bites  - Renée Raudman, Ilona Andrews I listened to the audiobook for this and I have to say that it was not one of the better vocals I have sat through. For all the characters, except for Kate, everything was just fine. However, everytime we flipped from one character to Kate, I had to once again readjust to the narrator's voicing of her. There was something very grating about how she spoke as Kate. Other than that, it was a good story. I am still adjusting to this alternate type reality, where so much of the earth we know has been destroyed by magic. There are no skyscrapers, no cell phones, and gas run vehicles rarely work. Kate is a mercenary but works for the Guild when her father figure is killed during an investigation. Kate finds herself in a world of shifters, vampires (and their controllers) and a mysterious creature that no one is sure what it is. I loved Kate and Derek's relationship, and even more so, her relationship with Curran, and can't wait to see how their lives cross in future books. It was great to read a UF book with no romance in it for a change.